Saturday, October 1, 2011

Casa del Sol (Mexican) カーサ・デル・ソル 022-265-7633

Website:  http://r.gnavi.co.jp/t042500/


To read a more recent update on Casa del Sol, please click HERE.

Address: 宮城県仙台市青葉区中央1-7-40 大野第一ビル5F.   Across from the AER Building.  There’s a little walkway entrance next to a gyoza restaurant (see photo).  Take the elevator to the fifth floor.  


The entrance is to the left of the column

Map:  Scroll down to the bottom.

Open:  5:00 pm – 11:30 pm.  Closed Sundays (except preceding a national holiday).

Their guacamole is the best I’ve had in all of Japan and compares with restaurants back in East Los Angeles.   Though it’s difficult for any ethnic restaurant in Japan to be completely authentic, Casa del Sol does a very good job of coming quite close … usually.


Guacamole and Chips

Reservations are recommended as the restaurant is small, seating only about 20 people.  Unfortunately it’s NOT a smoke-free environment, and with the small confines it can be a bit irritating if you’re a non-smoker.

My wife likes the margaritas but she’s disappointed in that they aren’t served in traditional margarita glasses. 


Half full or half empty margarita

We’ve been regular customers since they opened in August of 2003 and I probably rank this restaurant as my favorite of the favorites.  I grew up on Mexican food and if I was really critical I would have to say that this is nowhere near my mother’s cooking.  But, Casa del Sol still makes me feel somewhat nostalgic every time I eat here.  Go with an open mind remembering that you’re not in Southern California (or any place where Mexican food is abundant) and I think you’ll be pleased.  

If you happen to sit at the bar next to the kitchen, look across from you and a little to the left and you’ll see a picture of me and my wife on the wall.  No, not the little kid in the sombrero, the other picture.  About six months after Casa del Sol opened, the owner said that we were his good luck charm.   Apparently in the beginning, every time we ate there the restaurant had a busy night.  He asked if he could take our picture to put up on the wall for good luck.  Nowadays, I think he just feels obligated to keep the picture up.                                         

Recommended platters:                 

Guacamole w/ tortilla chips (780 yen):  FANTASTIC!!!        

Tacos (420 yen each):  Mexican (ground beef taco: my favorite!), Chicken, Beef (pieces of beef steak), Chorizo (not sure because I’ve never ordered this.  Chorizo in Japan is a spicy weiner,which is completely different than East L.A. chorizo), Tomato & Avocado.      

Mexican Burrito (880 yen): Chicken & Beef burrito that comes without beans.        

Chicken Fingers (700 yen): Okay, so this is definitely not Mexican, but the honey mustard sauce is really good!

Carne Asada (1750 yen):  This may not be worth that much but I still like it simply because it reminds me of home and eating with tortillas.


Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Sauce


Mexican Burrito


Mexican Tacos: without cheese, because I don't like cheese

Click on the above ぐるなび website and they sometimes will have a coupon offer for a half price taco or 500 yen discount per person.

Disclaimer:  Okay, I admit, the rice, beans, and some of the other items aren’t authentic.  But no one matches my mom’s sopa de arroz so I can’t blame them for trying.  And I’d gladly take a can of Juanita’s Refried Beans over what they serve here but, hey, this is Japan.  Stick with the guacamole and tacos and you’ll be happy.


View Larger Map

4 comments:

sendaiben said...

Wow, I miss this place :)

Picky in Sendai said...

It would be great if you could show up to one of our old-timers night, you busy man.

the word said...

Mmmmmm, Mexican. Soon. Let's Mexican soon.

Picky in Sendai said...

Ok.