Sunday, September 25, 2011

Billy’s N.Y. Style Sandwich 022-264-3101

UPDATE: MONDAY, AUGUST 24, 2015.
IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET TO ANNOUNCE THAT BILLY'S IS NO LONGER.
I DROVE HERE LAST FRIDAY TO DINE ON YET ANOTHER FILLING AND FLAVORFUL SANDWICH ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT THE BUILDING WAS BEING DEMOLISHED.
I WISH THE OWNER, IIBUCHI-SAN, THE BEST, AND AM GRATEFUL FOR THE WONDERFUL LUNCHES SHE PROVIDED OVER HER FIFTEEN YEAR RUN.

Website:  http://www.billys.jp/      


Address: 仙台市青葉区上杉1-7-23.  Near Kita-Yobancho Subway Station.  Across from Grand Central Sports Gym.

Map:  Scroll down to the bottom. 

Hours:  11:00 – 5:00 everyday.  But … you should call to check.  Sometimes they are not open.



Are they really New York style sandwiches?  Well, I’m not from New York but I’ve been there a few times and, hmm, I’ll just say that Billy’s offers the best sandwiches I’ve had in Japan.  In NYC, they really know how to make a sandwich (at least at most delis).  Though not necessarily the same, Billy’s does a great job.  I don’t live near downtown, but my wife and I will gladly drive to Billy’s on the weekends for a good sandwich lunch.  It’s that good, at least in my opinion.

In fact, we drove out just for Billy’s the other day.  I like the club sandwich with an avocado topping (580).  A sandwich plus the assorted tsukemono satisfies my appetite.  My wife likes the half sandwich set menu. (600 ).  The set menu comes with a drink and a dessert, but I don’t like their dessert choices, while my wife loves them.  She had a pumpkin pottage the other day.  Sometimes it will be some type of mousse.  That’s not for me, but the wifey likes them.

I’ve had friends tell me that they rate the meatloaf or the BLT as their favorites.  I’ve tried them and they are good, but I like the club sandwich the best and I’m sticking to it.  I know this place is popular with people working at city hall and the kencho.

But just one thing:  If Iibuchi-san (the owner who wears glasses and a bandana completely over her hair) is not there, the sandwiches do tend to be missing something in the flavor department.

Also, there is no free parking.  Across from Billy’s is a two-story parking structure, however, next to Billy’s is a very small real estate office, and next to that office is a cheaper parking area.  


*Please read recent updates about Billy's here and here again.


View Larger Map

No comments: