Saturday, January 21, 2012

UPDATE: Curry Shop Sakura カレーショップ桜蔵 022-307-6320


If you haven't read about Curry Shop Sakura before, please read my previous post:  Curry Shop Sakura.

Another first-rate chicken curry lunch!  Tasted just as great (and spicy) as the last time.  But last time I forgot to mention that the chicken is a chicken leg, bone included.  But the meat is so soft that it easily slips off the bone.  Again, I went with the regular-sized spicy curry (600円); not so spicy that it's uncomfortable to eat, but enough to cause sweat beads to start appearing on your head.

My wife went with the regular-sized sweet flavor vegetable curry (500円).  I tasted it and, though very tasty in its own right, is quite different from the spicy flavor.

やさいカレー
We ordered two sets of the cake/drink set (500円/each), one with banana pound cake and the other with spicy chiffon cake and decided to split the cakes so that we could try both of them equally.  The banana pound cake arrived first and the serving size was quite generous!  To be honest, we should have just ordered this and split it.  And like before, it was scrumptious!
Then came the even bigger piece of spicy chiffon cake.  Between the two cakes, I couldn't finish my portion (much to the delight of my wife who obliged).  I couldn't identify the actual spice in the chiffon cake but I think it was either ginger or nutmeg, or perhaps a combination of the two.  It tasted okay, but it wasn't in the same league as the banana pound cake.

スパイシーシフォンケーキ
When paying, I used a 500 円 coupon that I had received on my last visit for filling up my stamp card.  And because it's the New Year season they had a special drawing.  We walked away with a bag of cleanser (which they make) and two decorative coasters, which were made from recycled milk cartons.

Again, I'd like to remind you that this a very special restaurant in that it employs mentally challenged individuals and allows them to support themselves and achieve a sense of self-worth and accomplishment.  


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Susie said...

This looks so tasty but looks like it'd be a pain to get to without a car :( Maybe I'll have to make a pilgrimage there when there's less snow! Have you ever eaten here: http://susiesomewhere.blogspot.com/2012/02/restaurant-recommendation-nepalese-food.html?m=1 We thought it was really yummy!

Picky in Sendai said...

Yeah, it's not near any train or subway stations. The closest would be the Tomizawa Subway Station and it's probably a 20-minute walk from there. However, there are buses that run to Nishitaga from Sendai Station or Nagamachi-minami Subway Station.
Thanks for your link to the Nepalese restaurant. I've never heard of that place but it looks interesting (except for the beans ... I don't like beans ... picky eater and all).
I'd still like to try it. Thanks for reading my blog, for commenting, and for recommending! Please continue to check in!

Arudhi said...

Hello, I just came across your blog and I`m so happy to find a food blogger in Sendai! I`ve been living in Sendai since 2005 and I too have great times exploring restaurants and eateries in Sendai, although probably I haven`t visited places as many as you have. Thanks for sharing all these great info and I`ll be looking around your posts!

Picky in Sendai said...

Arudhi, thanks for the reading the blog and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!