Sunday, March 10, 2013

UPDATE: Casa del Sol 022-265-7633


If you haven’t read about Casa del Sol before, please read my earlier post HERE.
Address: 宮城県仙台市青葉区中央1-7-40 大野第一ビル5F.   Across from the AER Building.  There’s a little walkway entrance next to a gyoza restaurant.  Take the elevator to the fifth floor.  
Map:  Scroll down below.
Open:  5:00 pm – 11:30 pm.  Closed Sundays (except preceding a national holiday).
This is one of my original favorites and an update is long over due, especially since this restaurant receives the most hits on this blog.
But unfortunately, I really don’t have that much to add other than that the guacamole is still fantastic and an enjoyable time is still always had at this Casa.
I haven’t frequented Casa del Sol as often as I used to, but this restaurant is still the first restaurant I recommend when someone asks me for my #1 spot.
Last night, I felt like splurging a little and ordered the carne asada platter that consists of a thin beef steak, rice, salsa, jalapeño, and two flour tortillas, all for 1750 yen.  I know there are cheaper places to find a steak, but the tangible feeling of eating tortillas with my hands is something that takes me back to my childhood, so I don’t mind paying a little more for this.


Carne Asada:  カルネ・アサダ・デ・レス

The beef was tender and delicious, while the rice, though not authentic sopa de arroz, was a nice side.  The accompanying salsa had a nice flavor to it but did not register on any kind of spice-o-meter.  But the jalapeño?  This depends on who you ask.   
I was a sorry excuse of a Mexican as a child as I was never much of a chile eater (nor bean eater, either).  But I find the jalapeño at Casa del Sol to add a wonderful kick to the carne asada.  My wife, knowing my poor impression of being Mexican, was impressed with my ability to eat the jalapeño with ease.  So, she cut a one-centimeter sized cube and put it in her mouth.  I wish I would have had the camera out to capture her expression as she almost tried to spit it out and lunge for her water glass.  So use your own judgment on the jalapeño.


My wife went with her usual Mexican Burrito (and Margarita) and was quite content with both of her choices.

Mexican Burrito



Guacamole and Chips


A couple of months ago we had a small gathering for my friend’s birthday and were treated very well that evening.  I’ve added a photo that my friend Takayo Yamaguchi took of the delicious ice cream taco (my photo didn’t turn out so nice).  This ice cream taco is definitely not an authentic Mexican dessert, but it does make a wonderful finisher to a wonderful meal at Casa del Sol.



アイスのタコス 680円



View Larger Map

8 comments:

Michael Jones said...

I still haven't been! Next time you go, give me a shout.

Picky in Sendai said...

Will do!

John said...

Best Mexican food in Sendai, and possibly Japan is Gladio. Enter Kokubucho from Jozenjidori and go left on the first street and it's on the right hand side about 50 meters down the road. 1F PSC Bld. 022-265-3007. I grew up in California eating Mexican food and this place is pretty close to the real deal.

Amanda said...

Just out of curiosity, does the owner/staff speak Spanish?

Picky in Sendai said...

Amanda, unless they have gone through a dramatic staff change lately, no one speaks Spanish at that restaurant.
Unless you consider counting to ten being fluent in Spanish. Haha

Thank you for reading!

Amanda said...

Thanks! I'm new to Sendai and still learning Japanese, but I do speak Spanish, so I was hoping. :-)

Picky in Sendai said...

Welcome to Sendai, Amanda!

The menu is in English and Japanese, and I believe that the staff does understand basic English, so you shouldn't have a problem ordering.

However, if you were hoping to practice your Spanish, you may have to look for a Spanish-speaking club at the International Center.

Mi madre habla Español, pero, lo siento, yo no me recuerdo mucho.

Amanda said...

Thanks again! (Muchas gracias por la bienvenida!) Looking forward to trying out this and some of these other places you've recommended.